Servings: 4 Crocks | Yield: 5 Cups | Prep. Time: 15 min. | Start to finish: 1 hr, 20 min.
This is great as a meal starter or filling lunch.
6 Cups Onions , About 3 Large Onions, peeled, sliced 1/4″ thick and separated
1 Clove Garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Butter, Unsalted
2 Tablespoons Butter, Unsalted, softened
5 Cups Beef Broth, Fat Free, Low Sodium (college Inn), (or Add 5 Cups of Water and 5 Bullion Cubes, Low Sodium), .
1/2 Cup Water
4 Slices French Bread, 2, if serving, only 2. – 3, if serving 3 – 4, if serving 4
8 Slices Mozzarella Cheese, Part Skim Milk, 2 slices per serving.
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Thyme
1. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, melt butter till bubbly, not browned. Add in minced garlic, cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
2. Add in sliced onions, stirring constantly to coat onions. Continuing stirring until all the butter is absorbed about 4 minutes. Then add in beef broth (or beef bullion and water), 1/2 c. water, garlic powder, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
3. While the soup is simmering. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, arrange the french bread slices on the baking sheet. Spread each slice with softened butter. Then sprinkle with garlic powder. Cook in broiler until golden and set aside.
4. After your soup has finished simmering, Scoop out portions into oven safe crocks filling to about 1 1/2 inches from top of crock about 1 cup soup. Place a bread slice into each crock. Then lay mozzarella slices across the bread (two cheese slices per crock).
5. If your broiler is on the top section of your oven, raise rack and set Broiler to low. Place baking sheet w/ prepared crocks in center of oven under flame. Broil until cheese is melted or golden brown. About 5-7 minutes.
6. If your broiler is the bottom drawer of your oven use above method to cook.
7. CAUTION crocks will be hot! I serve mine is a heat safe bowl or on a plate.
NOTE: Store bought beef broths and beef bullions can be salt so be aware of what brands to buy. I buy Herb Ox – Low Sodium