Yield: 2 1/2 Cups (varies depending on tomato size) | Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Homemade Bruschetta with balsamic vinegar. So delicious it will be gone in a flash.
6 Each Plum Tomatoes, washed
1 Clove Garlic, minced
3 Each Large Fresh Basil Leaves, cleaned and chopped
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 Dash Sea Salt, to taste
1 Dash Black Pepper, to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, bring about 4 cups water to boil. Lower to just below medium and add tomatoes for approximately 2 minutes tossing them in the water, so they are easier to peel. When you notice the skin cracked remove them with a pasta fork or slotted spoon. Let them rest until they are cool enough to handle.
2. Slice the end and stem side of the tomato, then cut in half from stem to end. Next remove core with a paring knife. Scrap with a teaspoon to remove seeds and membranes. Then dice.
3. In a large mixing bowl toss tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
5. Serve on toasted baguettes or thin sliced Italian bread toasted lightly.
Notes: Canned whole peeled tomatoes work great in a pinch use 2 28 oz cans, drained and follow directions at step 2.