Yields: 12 Meatballs | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Start to finish: 3 hours 15 minutes
This recipe will make 12 scrumptious Italian meatballs. Or make 24 mini meatballs and make a super meatball soup or appetizer.
1 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef, or ground turkey (or ask the butcher for a veal, pork & beef combo pack)
1/2 Cup Onion, diced small
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs, Seasoned
1 Egg, whisked in a small bowl
1 Slice Bread, White
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Parsley
1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Ketchup, Low Sodium or Italian Sauce Prepared
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil, if Frying, Optional
Cook Meatballs Directly in the Sauce for Approximately 2 Hours on stovetop or in your slow cooker 2 hours High/3 Hours Low.
1. In a large bowl mix: ground meat(s), garlic powder, onion powder, minced garlic, black pepper, italian seasoning, parsley, onions, seasoned bread crumbs and ketchup/or sauce.
2. Then soak the bread in the whisked egg. Then shake off excess egg and mash bread between fingers making sure to break the crust into bits on top of meat mixture.
3. Mix the meat and other ingredients until well blended. Pinch off some of the meat mixture and roll into approximately 12 meatballs (1.5″ in diameter) or smaller if you prefer.
**Continue to step 5, if you prefer to brown them before adding to the sauce.
4. Then add directly into your sauce, make sure all meatballs are submerged under the sauce. Cook in sauce stirring occasionally and gently until they reach 165 degrees, approximately 2 hours if slow cooker is on high and 3.5 hours if cooking on low.
5. In a large frying pan, heat the oil. Drop in your meatballs and turn with a fork and cook to brown on all sides.
6. Then set them aside on a paper towel to drain off some of the fat. Repeat until all meatballs are browned.
7. Then add them into your sauce cooking them approximately until they reach 165 degrees.
Serving Ideas: Try making these meatballs into mini’s and enjoy the Italian Tomato Meatball Soup. Or turn these delicious meatballs into a great Meatball Parmesan Sandwich.
For a healthier version: Substitute beef w/ ground turkey.