I always crave these around Easter time when they are in season. Yummy, anytime snacking! I have altered this recipe slightly over the years but need to thank Grandma Tessa Curto for teaching me this recipe.
4 Artichokes, prepared as directed
1 Package Chicken Flavor Stove Top Stuffing
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
2 Cloves Garlic, minced, divided
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 Teaspoons Parsley, dried
5 Cups Water, approx.
1/2 Cup Water
1. Prepare artichokes: Snip the pointed tips of artichoke leaves, and cut off the stems. Wash and drain. Then, spread open the leaves to make room for stuff. Widen outer layer first, then proceed until you almost expose the heart.
2. In a medium bowl combine stove top stuffing dry mix, garlic, parsley, parmesan cheese, parsley, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 minced garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well.
3. Stuff about 1/2 cup mixture into each artichoke and set aside.
4. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Once hot add remaining garlic and saute until golden brown.
5. Add artichokes sitting upright packing them closely together.
6. Fill with remaining water approximately 5 cups until water reaches halfway up artichokes
7. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until leaves pull out easily.
8. Then top with sliced mozzarella cheese and continue to cook until cheese is melted approximately 5 more minutes.
9. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve.