Yield: 3 – 6 oz. mason jars | Prep Time: 15 min. | Start to Finish Time: 1 hr., 30 min.
These homemade Refrigerator bread & butter pickles are sweet and crisp. No Canning required.
1 Large Cucumber, Sliced thin, skin on (or 3 kirby cucumbers)
1/4 Cup Sweet Onion, sliced think and quartered
1 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 1/2 Teaspoons Mustard Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seeds
1/8 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Each 6 Oz Mason Jars, cleaned and dried
1. In a medium bowl add cucumber, salt, and onion. Toss well and chill about 1/2 hour.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
3. Continue to simmer on low 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit uncovered about 15 minutes to cool.
4. Divide cucumber/kirbys & onion slices evenly into approximately 3 – 6 oz. mason jars.
5. After the liquid is cool, use a wide mouth funnel and divide liquid evenly among the 3 jars of cucumbers. Be sure liquid completely covers pickles.
6. Let stand approximately 15-20 minutes to cool.
7. Lid tightly and place in refrigerator, up to 3 months, but they won’t last that long!