This recipe has an equal balance of ground meat and sweet sausage with other savory flavors that make it a perfectly delish stew-like soup.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3 links sweet sausage, casing removed
1 cup medium onion, chopped
3 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
1 can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked macaroni, I prefer ditalini or elbow macaroni
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large pot on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook about 1 minute. Add beef, sausage and onion and cook until the beef and sausage are well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Drain & return to pot.
2. Add broth, seasoning, tomatoes and beans bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the macaroni and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the chopped spinach stirring constantly until spinach is wilted. Remove pot from heat.
5. Stir in the cheese. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.