6 slices bacon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup yellow onions, diced
water enough to cover potatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 each chicken bullion cubes, low sodium
1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups velveeta cheese, sliced 1″ thick and cubed
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer bacon to a papertowel covered separate plate, using a slotted spoon. Let cool and let drain.
2. In a large stock pot, over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and celery. Add enough water to just cover potatoes. Add 2 cubes of low sodium chicken bullion. Stir occasionally and cook until potatoes are soft. about 40 minutes.
3. With a potato masher mash potatoes in water/chicken broth until your desired texture. I like to live a few potatoes large for a heartier soup.
4. Add milk, sour cream, 4 crumbed slices of bacon, pepper and velveeta cheese.
5. Soup will thicken, but if you want it thicker add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until dissolved. Cook soup stirring to avoid burning for another 15 minutes.
6. Pour into soup bowls and top with your favorite baked potato toppings. See suggestions above.