Mostly served as an appetizer these snacky cherry peppers stuffed with prosciutto & provolone are packed with a burst of hot & savory goodness.
Yield: 12 poppers | Prep Time: 20 | Total Time: 30 min., plus 24 hour refrigeration time
These sweet pickled cherry peppers are stuffed with provolone and prosciutto. Perfectly sized to pop in your mouth. (Don’t want to pickle your own try this Shortcut Italian Poppers version).
1/4 pound provolone cheese slices, tri-folded, and cut in 3
1/4 pound prosciutto, slices , Cut in half lengthwise, then cut in half.
12 each (about) 3/4 lb. of red cherry peppers, washed
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1. Using the tip of a knife, poke each pepper near the stem for venting
2. In a small saucepan add vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Add prepared poppers and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove peppers and place in a lg. container or mason jar and fill with brine leaving 1/4″ from top. Let cool. Place sealed container into refrigerator for 24 – 72 hours to marinate.
4. Remove peppers from brine and DO NOT DISCARD the brine, set aside.
5. Cut carefully around stem as to not crush or tear. With a small spoon remove seeds and pulp and set aside in small container. Repeat with each pepper. (Make sure they fit snug in the container).
6. Next wrap cut prosciutto folding it around prepped cheese. Stuff carefully into pepper and place back into tight fitting container. Repeat with each pepper.
7. When done add brine, seasoning and oil in a small bowl and whisk until well blended.
8. Pour over peppers until almost covers.
9. Serve and Enjoy! Or store in refrigerator up to 4 days.
**(If storing in the refrigerator remove about 10 minutes prior to serving to allow brine to uncongeal.