1 each leek, large, cleaned & diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cups chicken broth or for vegetarian use vegetable broth
6 each potatoes, medium (5 cups diced), cleaned, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon thyme, dried, or 1 – 2 sprigs fresh
1/8 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 each bay leaf
1/4 cup parsley, fresh chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
1. Clean leeks by chopping off root and removing dark tough green tops. Spread in colander under water to remove any embedded dirt. Slice 1/4″ thick from top to bottom then dice.
2. Add butter and oil In stock pot and heat on medium. Add leeks and stir to coat. Lower heat and simmer w/ lid on for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to not burn leeks.
3. Add broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, italian seasoning, salt and pepper raise heat to bring to a boil and then lower and simmer stirring occasionally for about 30-35 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf. Then mash gently using a mash potato masher until your desired thickness.
5. Serve and Enjoy! Don’t forget the crackers. Yummy.