Well since the leeks I purchased for the soup came in a bunch of two. I thought I would try another leek recipe. You know because I truly hate being wasteful. This quiche was perfect. The mild onion flavor of the leeks paired perfectly with the sweet sausage crumbles and the swiss cheese layer just added that extra WOW! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
1 each 9″ pie crust,, partially baked
1 each leek, large, cleaned and diced (about 2.5 – 3 cups)
1 cup sweet ground sausage, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter
4 each baby swiss cheese, 1/4″ thick slices, diced (about 1 cup)
4 each large eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 dashes nutmeg
2 each 1/8″ slices of butter, divided into quarters
1. Prepare pie crust per directions. Cooking only about 1/2 the time. Set aside and let cool
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
3. In skillet, saute sausage in crumbles, drain and set aside
4. In separate skillet add 2 tablespoons of butter. On medium heat melt butter and add the leeks. Saute until tender about 3 minutes stirring constantly to avoid browning leeks. Add sausage and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
5. In cooled pie crust add cheese spreading evenly over bottom. Then spread leek and sausage mixture over cheese evenly.
6. In medium mixing bowl. Add eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg and whisk until well blended. Pour over leek and sausage mixture.
7. Top with divided butter slices.
8. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. If crust begins to burn shield edges with tinfoil. Check out how here.
9. Set on cooling rack and let cool.