A delicious light lunch, snack or anytime treat.
2 each artichokes, frozen, washed, top cut, stem removed and leaves trimmed
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon garlic
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, reserve 1 tbspn for drizzling
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices mozzarella cheese
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup croutons, I prefer a garlic and cheese flavor.
1. Note: appliance 4 qt. slow cooker.
2. Prepare artichokes: Cut about 2″ off the bloom. Snip the pointed horned tips from the artichoke leaves, and cut off the stems evenly so artichoke can stand firmly. Wash while spreading open the leaves to make room for stuffing. Widen outer layer first, then proceed until you almost expose the heart.
3. In a medium bowl combine bread crumbs, garlic powder, minced garlic, salt and parmesan cheese. Mix with fork until well blended.
4. Add 2 Tablespoons of oil to the bread mixture and mix with fork about 2 minutes until well blended.
5. Using crouton (about 4) mash with thumb inside the artichoke near the heart, then add bread crumbs and top with about 4 croutons. Repeat in 2nd Artichoke.
6. Place both artichokes in slow cooker. Add about 2″ of water and make sure to pour over artichokes.
7. Drizzle Artichokes with oil. Cover and cook on high 4 hours or until leaves can be easily pulled. (NOTE: Sometimes you might need to baste to keep outer leaves moist. Use about a 1/4 cup of boiling water to baste.
8. About 15 minutes before ready to serve. Top each artichoke with mozzarella cheese, cover and continue cooking until cheese is melted.