Stovetop version. A great break in the routine of Spaghetti and Meatballs. Want the slow cooker recipe click here.Chicken Cacciatore (Slow Cooker)
3 each Boneless, skinless chicken breast, Trimmed and cubed
2 each green bell peppers, washed, seeded, and sliced
1 each red bell pepper, washed, seeded, and sliced
1 each large yellow onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced
3 each garlic cloves, peeled, chopped, divided
28 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
6 ounces tomato paste
2 cups white button mushroom, bushed/cleaned and sliced
3 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black ground pepper or 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1. In a large bowl mixed, cubed chicken, 1 tsp of the italian seasoning, 1 clove of chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp of pepper or 1/4 if cracked pepper. Stir until all chicken is coated in spices and oil.
2. Heat on medium a large sauce pot with 1 tsp of the extra virgin olive oil. Then add 1 clove of chopped garlic. Cook garlic until edges are golden brown about 1 minute. Add chicken mixture. Cook stirring occasionally until all sides of the chicken are cooked and white.
3. Add in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and past. Cook until heated then reduce to simmer.
4. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer stirring occasionally for about 2 – 3 hours. Use a defuser if necessary, which I recommend.
5. Center of chicken should be at 165 degrees.
7. Serve of rice or linguini as per package serving directions. Sprinkle with grated romano/parmesan cheese.
Yields: 6 – 8 Servings.