This version of Mussels Marinara can be shared as an appetizer. But one taste and you’ll wish you kept it all to yourself. It’s just too Delicious to share!
2 pounds Mussels, scrubbed, debearded and washed well.
1 cup parsley, chopped, divided
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons green, bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup plum tomato, diced
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, about 2 cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 sprigs oregano, chopped
1 each bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
2 tablespoons oil
1 dash red pepper flakes, optional
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes, 28 oz. can, undrained
2 tablespoons cooking sherry, to taste, if desired
1. Remove beards from mussels, scrub and clean well. Discard any mussels that will not close when tapped and all broken or cracked mussels.
2. In a large deep skillet on medium heat add oil and saute garlic, onion, celery, green pepper until tender about 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning
3. Add canned diced Tomatoes, fresh diced plum tomato, onion powder, thyme, fresh oregano, black pepper, red pepper flakes and sherry. Cook about 4 more minutes stirring constantly.
4. Add mussels toss to coat and cover with a lid. Check every two minutes to stir, repeat until all mussels have opened. Then turn off heat.
5. Using tongs transfer mussels to serving dishes and then ladle with marinara.
6. Top each serving with chopped fresh parsley.
7. Serve with some nice crisp french or italian bread.