A traditional favorite. This thick and creamy soup is loaded with potatoes and clams.
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Each Medium Onion, chopped fine
1 Each Celery Stalk, chopped fine
7 Each Potatoes, rinsed, peeled and diced
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cans Baby Whole Clams, 10 Oz. Cans, Liquid reserved
1 1/4 Cups Light Cream
2 Each Bay Leaves
3 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fresh Parsley, Optional, chopped fine
1. Heat butter in a large stock pot. Once hot add onion and celery and cook until onions are translucent mixing often.
2. Add in reserved clam liquid, broth, 1 cup cream, bay leaves, thyme and potatoes.
3. Boil gently on low-medium until potatoes break easily with a fork.
4. Use a masher and mash potatoes leaving big chunks of potatoes.
5. In measuring cup pour 1/4 cup of cream and add the flour while whisking until well blended.
6. Pour flour mixture into soup while continuously stirring as soup thickens.
7. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring often.
8. Add clams and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook an additional 3 minutes stirring frequently.
9. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.