Credit to this dish belongs to my mom, Patricia. I came across it in an old recipe book of hers. But you know I had to work out the measurements, because us Italians never measure anything, ha. But this recipe is killer and a delicious take on shrimp. This entree’ is elegant with a boat load of shrimp and flavor.
2 Dozen Shrimp, Cleaned, peeled, and deveined
1 Can Tomato Sauce (15 Oz.)
1 Can Crushed Tomatoes (28 Oz.)
1/8 Teaspoon Parsley, Dried
1/4 Teaspoon Oregano, Dried
1/8 Teaspoon Basil, Dried
1/8 Teaspoon Thyme, Dried
1/2 Each Bay Leaf.
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder, divided
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, divided
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning, divided
1 Clove Garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons Red Cooking Wine
1/2 Cup Fine Shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 Slices French Bread
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Cups Bread Crumbs, seasoned
4 Tablespoons Oil
1. Wash, peel and devein shrimp. If frozen run under cold water in bowl in pooling water to thaw. After peeling rinse shrimp well. Set aside.
2. *optional topping – In very small mixing bowl add 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of oil. Use a fork and blend well.
3. In large saucepan, on medium heat add oil until hot. Add 1/2 of the minced garlic and saute’ in oil until golden. Add tomatoes, stir until blended, and reduce heat to low.
4. Add parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. garlic and 1/4 tsp. onion powder, garlic powder, sugar and cooking wine. Stir frequently to avoid burning/sticking on bottom and simmer uncovered on low for 15 minutes.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese to sauce, stir until well blended, cover and turn off heat.
6. In medium size mixing bowl mix bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1/4 garlic powder and 1 tablespoon italian seasoning and mix well.
7. Toss shrimp into bread crumb mixture until well coated.
8. In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil until hot, add the remaining minced garlic and stir constantly until garlic edges begin to golden.
9. Add shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes until browned, flip and cook 2 minutes more.
10. In two 8″ oven safe baking dishes (individual serving sizes) Add sauce to fill about 1/2″ up from the bottom.
11. Butter the two slices of french bread and sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. then center slices in center of baking dishes.
12. Using tongs divide shrimp between the two serving dishes.
13. Top with finely shredded parmesan cheese and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
14. Place in broiler 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!