Servings: 8 | Yield: 2 Quarts | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Start to finish: 1 hour
This stew-like soup is just what the doctor ordered. Can be made with or without added kick. If you like chicken tortilla soup you’re going to love this one even more.
1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into 1/2″ cubes
4 Cups Water
4 Each Chicken Bullion, Low Sodium, or 4 Cups. Chicken Broth **(if Using Broth, Do Not Add 4 Cups Water)
1 Clove Garlic, minced (large clove)
1 Cup Red Pepper, largely diced
1/4 Cup Green Pepper, largely diced
1/2 Cup Onion, largely diced
1/4 Cup Celery, julienned
1 Cup Whole Corn, thawed or drained
1 Cup Carrots, Baby, sliced
1/2 Cup Plum Tomatoes, largely diced
1 Can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 Cup Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies From a 10 Oz. Can, drained
1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Oregano
1/4 Cup Tortilla Chips, crumbled
Salt & Pepper to Taste
To Add More Kick: Add 1/4 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1. In large stockpot on medium heat add water and bullion until boiling.
2. Lower to medium and add chicken cook about 5 minutes until chicken is white.
3. With a slotted spoon remove chicken and set aside.
4. Add garlic and tomatoes w/ chilies to broth and cook 2 minutes.
5. Return chicken to broth and add tomatoes, carrots, celery, red pepper, green pepper, onion and corn. Stir to mix.
6. Add in the onion powder, cumin powder, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
7. Lower to simmer covered for 20 – 25 minutes or until inner temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.
8. Turn off heat and add 1/4 cup roughly crumbled tortilla chips, cover and let stand 2 minutes.
9. Serve with additional tortilla chips and enjoy