Servings: 3 – 4 | Yield: 3 Cups | Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Start to finish: 35 minutes
A surprisingly tasty healthy casserole to liven up those fresh string beans. Topped with a bread crumb parmesan mixture and broiled to perfection.
3 Cups Fresh String Beans (green Beans), washed and trimmed on both tips
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs, Seasoned
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
3 Tablespoons Oil, divided
1 Clove Garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium
1/2 Cup Milk, 2% Lowfat
2 Tablespoons Cooking Sherry
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Boil green beans or steam to crisp tender about 5 minutes. drain and transfer to a medium deep broiler safe cooking dish.
3. In a small bowl mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley and oil. Mix with a fork until crumbs are all coated and wet with oil. Set aside.
4. Then in a small bowl or measuring cup mix milk and flour stirring with a fork until smooth. set aside.
5. In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil until hot. Add garlic and onions and saute about 2- 3 minutes until onions are translucent.
6. Then stir milk and flour mixture before adding it to the skillet. Add milk mixture, sherry and broth to frying pan. Stir constantly until thickened.
7. Pour mixture carefully over green beans in heat safe broiling dish and toss to coat.
8. Top with bread crumb mixture and broil 2 – 3 minutes until topping is crispy.