Servings: 6 – 8 | Yields: 9 X 13 Dish(+) | Prep. Time: 30 min. | Start to finish: 1 hr, 45 min.
Breaded eggplant rolled around a ricotta and mozzarella cheese mixture topped with red pasta sauce and baked to perfection. This dish is also a great way to make your leftover pasta sauce great again.
1 Each Large Eggplant, (male) About 4″ Diameter, 6″ Long, washed, peeled and sliced 1/8″ from bud to stem
3 Each Eggs
1/4 Cup 2% Low-fat Milk
4 Cups Bread Crumbs, Seasoned (3-4 Cups)*may Vary Due to Eggplant Size, or more if needed
1 Cup Oil *may Vary Due to Eggplant Size, for frying, or more if needed
1 1/2 Cups Ricotta Cheese, Part Skim Milk (16 Oz, or More if Needed)
1 1/4 Cups Mozzarella Cheese (8 Oz.), shredded
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Parsley
1/4 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 Each Egg
2 Cups Italian Pasta Sauce (slow Cooker Recipe), or 16 oz. jarred
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, for Topping
Step 1: Bread & Fry Eggplant
1. Line a large cookie sheet with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Wash, peel, and slice eggplant into 1/8″ thin stips from bud to stem. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl whisk eggs and milk. set aside. Then add bread crumbs to a medium mixing bowl.
4. Dip each eggplant strip into egg mixture and press into bread crumbs flip and repeat. Set aside on dish repeat until all are done.
5. In a large skillet fill with about 1/4″ inch of oil, then heat on medium heat.
6. When hot. Add breaded eggplant to fill skillet and cook about 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook another 2 minutes. When done place on paper towel lined cookie sheet to drain. Do Not Stack fried eggplant when draining. Try to spread them out. Cook in batches until all are done. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Filling & Assembly
7. In a large mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, 1 1/4 cups of mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, parsley and Italian seasoning. Then crack in one egg. Mix until well blended.
8. In a 9 X 13 baking sheet add 1 cup of sauce spreading it into a thin layer.
9. Use a teaspoon and place a heaping teaspoon of ricotta mixture at the bud end of an eggplant slice. Then roll toward the stem end. Transfer to baking sheet flap side down. Repeat making rows until all are stuffed. (Sometimes I need a small baking dish, as well)
10. Use a large spoon to spread remaining sauce around edges and top of stuffed eggplant. Top with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
11. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
12. When done uncover and let set for 4-5 minutes before serving.
Make sure to purchase a Male eggplant. Male eggplants tend to have fewer seeds, and are therefore less bitter than female eggplants. To sex an eggplant, look at the indentation at bottom. If it’s deep and shaped like a dash, it’s a female. If it’s shallow and round, it’s a male.