Photo Credit to Natalie Rhea Riggs on Unsplash
Yield: 2 quarts | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Start to finish: 30 minutes, excluding refrigeration time.
Try your hand at some delicious pickled beets. Great to serve at BBQ’s as a side or snack. Or take it to another level and drop in a few hard boiled eggs which are delicious alone, added to salads, or tastefully pleasing as Pickled Deviled Eggs.
8 Bulbs Beets, Approximately Two Bunches, Roasted, peeled and sliced, 1/4″ thick
3/4 Teaspoon Coriander, Whole
4 Whole Cloves, stems removed
1 Leaf Basil, Small, crushed
3/4 Teaspoon Peppercorns, whole
1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
1/4 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Shakes Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Optional
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Cups Distilled White Vinegar
1 Cup Sugar
4 Hard boiled Eggs, peeled and rinsed, Optional
1. Roasted Beets see recipe. (Approx. 2-3 cups)
2. In a medium saucepan, add vinegar and water. Bring to a slow boil. Lower heat to a simmer and add all the spices, add sugar, slowly, stirring constantly until it is all dissolved.
3. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes more.
4. Set aside and let cool about 15 minutes.
5. In a tight sealing container or jar, add the sliced beets about 3/4 filing container and if you’re adding in eggs place them layered in the middle of the beets. Pour liquid contents over beets to completely fill the container/jar. Discard any leftover liquid.
6. Place container/jar in the back of your refrigerator for approximately a week.
7. Serve as desired.