This sandwich is the veggie bomb of all sandwiches with its perfect mixture of sweet and savory!
1 loaf French bread loaf, Cut into 4 or 6 inch sections then halved
2 each Portobello mushrooms, dry cleaned w/ stems removed and gills scrapped off
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup fresh spinach, cleaned
1 each red pepper, washed, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 each yellow onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar, divided
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 slices Mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. In zip lock baggie insert the two Portobello mushrooms. (sometimes I use (6 ea. Cremini mushrooms chopped in place of the large Portobello Burger Mushrooms)
2. In small bowl combine 1/2 balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp parsley and 1/2 tsp oregano mix well. Pour into baggie over Portobello mushrooms and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours.
3. In a small bowl mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp parsley and 1/2 tsp oregano and mix with a fork until well blended. set aside.
4. In frying pan add remaining olive oil and on medium heat cook garlic until golden. Add Portabella mushrooms, red peppers and onion. Add 1/4 cup. balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until peppers and mushrooms are soft and onions are translucent about 5-7 minutes. Add spinach and saute for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
5. Set oven to low broil (and raise rack if your broil is in top of your oven)
6. On foiled cookie sheet toast the bread until lightly golden. When finished remove only the top portions of sandwich bread.
7. On the bottom slices place your Portobella mushrooms top with bread crumbs. Then add the red pepper, onion and spinach mixture. Top the pile with 2 slices of mozzarella cheese.
8. Return to broiler cooking until the mozzarella cheese is melted to your preferred doneness.
9. On top bread portion of sandwich drizzle remaining balsamic vinegar.